Post-#Irma Update

The storm passed over us in the pre-dawn hours. We hunkered down (Dodi the dachshund too) in an interior room with all of our "Go!" supplies and flashlights but we were extremely fortunate. We're still getting gusts and I fear our trees are weakened from all the water and wind, but if nothing falls on the house we should get through this without trauma.

I cannot say enough about the crew at @FloridaStorms who have been broadcasting non-stop since this all began. They're based at WUFT.org, the multi-media operation at my alma mater, the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications. I'm a former radio news director and station owner and I know how difficult and how vital radio is at a time like this. The mainstream media is who I trust in an emergency.

This is also the time when you are glad you have a strong and capable state and local government. And NOAA. And FEMA. And all the blessed first responders. One of my favorite quotes is attributed to Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.: "Taxes are what we pay for civilized society."

My taxes helped buy me security and peace of mind and I don't begrudge a penny of them.

In addition, it's important to know your neighbors and to support one another. We've been texting, checking on one another, offering support and electricity for those without power. Thank you, neighbors for being there for one another.

We'll get through this together. We're Floridians and we may seem crazy to the rest of the world, but we pull together in a crisis. That's #FloridaStrong!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have permission to waltz?

It's Tu B'Av! Party like it's 5783, or Celebrating the Jewish Day of Romance

Happy #LaborDay!